Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Clean Bill of Health and Parenthood

I had my six-week post-partum appointment yesterday. I have a clean bill of health. It's kind of sad for me, really. It feels like I'm closing a chapter of my life. I'm officially not pregnant anymore. I mean, I haven't been pregnant for six weeks now, but something feels different and final now. And I miss it. And I'm sad that this may have been my last pregnancy. Even though I have four children now, I never wanted to have just one pregnancy (well, two, but the first one doesn't count in this sense).. I never thought I'd have three at once. I never thought this was how I would build my family. I don't want this to have been my last chance. And if I were a fertile myrtle, it would be easy to say, "well, okay, so if you get pregnant again, so be it, and that'll be great." But we all know it's just not that easy. So I know a lot of you are rolling your eyes that I have four kids and I'm not satisfied, and some of you probably think that this is just postpartum hormones, but I don't think it is. I'm sleep deprived, overwhelmed, can barely imagine handling another infant right now, but I long for the experience again.

Today would have been an easy day for me to say that I never want to go through this again. I was supposed to take J to school, which would have meant piling the triplets and J into the van and getting him up to school. This doesn't sound so hard, until you consider that all the babies have to be fed, changed, and put into car seats before they can be brought out to the car. Add that to the fact that J has to be changed, fed, and clothed and his lunch had to be made. Oh, and then there's the fact that Sam was up ALL NIGHT. He will NOT stop eating. He just keeps going and going. He woke up screaming with hunger at 2am (an hour before I expected him to wake up) and nursed from 2-4:45 when my husband took him away and gave him a bottle so that I could get some sleep. He wasn't just using me as a pacifier either, because he was really hungry and he would scream bloody murder if he unlatched, and he wouldn't take a regular pacifier. He was still hungry even after the bottle. He whimpered and whined for an hour and a half until he started screaming at 6:45 begging for food. So I nursed him until almost 9am when I gave up and gave him a bottle and he was STILL hungry. Meanwhile, I had three other kids to take care of, and I had decided that the four year old wasn't going to make it to preschool since none of us were dressed, fed or ready to go.

Today is the first day I have felt completely overwhelmed. But I STILL miss pregnancy. I still want to have another baby someday, even if people think I'm greedy for saying so.

Anyway, odds are good Sam's just going through a ginormous growth spurt. Babies apparently go through growth spurts approximately every 3 weeks, and he's six weeks old exactly today, so it makes sense, right? Apparently this should "only" last 2-3 days. Which would be totally manageable if he were a singleton, but hey, did I mention that there are TWO OTHER BABIES and a four year old to take care of? But this shall pass, right? Oh, and a friend of mine came and picked up J and took him to preschool an hour and a half late, but he got there regardless. Thank heavens. So the day is looking up, and I can do this. Parenthood certainly has its challenges, but I can do this, right? RIGHT?

18 comments:

dmarie said...

You can do it and you're doing your very best! I'm here if you need me.

Lea Bee said...

RIGHT! i am here too :)

megan said...

you certainly CAN do this. . . you ARE doing it and you're doing a great job!

Chris said...

Of course you can do it! I doubt there's anything you can't do :-)

Anonymous said...

Right you are! And if you want another chance at pregnancy, by all means, go for it. You don't have to be done just because you have 4 kids. Next time, you could shoot for twins and have a half dozen. :)

Mrs G said...

I think you are amazing for being able to do what you are at the moment. It is totally understandable that you would need another few pairs of hands just to get through the day.

Jackie said...

It's going to be tough, but if anyone can do it, you can. I totally understand your desire for another pregnancy-I don't think you're selfish at all.

nickoletta100 said...

Of course you can do it! If you can deliver 3 healthy babies, you can do anything (even have another pregnancy if you want to!)

Caba said...

You can do it! You are already doing great ... I felt the same way as you after the twins were born. I cried once when I saw a pregnant woman at the supermarket. I think it was partially my hormones, but also the knowledge that I really will probably never be pregnant again. And as much as I wished my pregnancy away (I wanted it to go fast so they would grow and be healthy) I long to experience it again. so I totally get that. And you aren't selfish. A lot of people feel that IF robs you of the right to say "I want a bigger family". That you should just be happy for whatever you end up with, since some people don't end up with any kids. But I don't agree. You aren't selfish because you have 4 wonderful kids and want more. You should have whatever size family you want. Hang in there momma, it's hard at first, but you are doing great.

And here's something to cheer you up, my cousin has 4.5 year old triplets. And now that I am going back to work, she is taking my twins for me full time. Yup, trips and twins. She's being doing it for about 2 months and loves it. You will get your family into a schedule and routine and you will be wonderful!

Natalie said...

Awww, we're here to listen to you vent. i can't imagine how hard this is!

teridr said...

I think you have every right to feel like you want more pregnancies and more children, no matter how your family came about.

And about Sam (love his name, by the way), it could definitely be the six week spurt. If it doesn't go away soon, though, you might have him checked out for reflux or silent reflux. Breast milk is a natural antacid, and reflux kids often nurse long periods for comfort because when they stop, it hurts. My second had terrible reflux and it took me a long time to figure it out.

You are doing such a great job with all four of your kids!

Malky B. said...

I ran into my friend Faigy today who has 11 year old triplets. I told her your good news and she wanted to know how your managing. She had hired help for a long time - maybe 6 months. This is very hard to do by yourself. She said she'd be happy to talk to you if you needed any advice or tips. Let me know if you need her number.

Rachel Inbar said...

I totally understand where you're coming from - you also didn't get to have one of those pregnancies that goes easily, where your biggest concern is if your maternity jeans will still fit you at the end.

It may seem impossible to consider another pregnancy as a possibility now, but things change quickly and I hope that if it is what you and your husband want that you'll do everything possible to make it happen. Anyway, who's to judge how many kids are enough?

Sorry Sam's giving you a tough time right now. Make sure to get some rest whenever you can!

Unknown said...

My triplets are 5 1/2 years old now, and I delivered at 28 weeks, 1 day. By the time I went to my 6 week check-up, I was already missing being pregnant and talking about wanting more children in the future.

Even though you have 4 beautiful children, don't rule out another pregnancy or two. I know plenty of multiple moms who struggled with infertility for years, had their trips, quads, whatever, and then a few years down the road did it all over again! Only you and your husband can decide when your family is complete.

pam said...

you're doing it and i hope i can do it with as much good humor and grace.

hadjare said...

It sounds to me like you are doing it now and doing it well!

I can't believe it's been six weeks already.

Jodi said...

I know how you feel about the pregnancy thing. My twins are 13 months and I still miss being pregnant. Knowing that I will never be pregnant on my own is always weighing on my mind too - do I really want to get my hopes up then it doesn't work? You are not being selfish - who knows, maybe when your trio are older you will have one or two more :) You are doing a great job - I love your site.

Carol said...

I'm totally with you - I really miss pregnancy too. A lot. I think about it basically every day.

Sounds like your Sam and my Daniel are having some of the same issues - he was up screaming for a long time last night, and up every hour the night before. and I was hoping to get a nap this afternoon but he was awake for 8 hours straight this afternoon/evening. I think it's the 6 week thing. But I'm right along with you in hoping it's just for a few days.

To your comments on my blog:

The bustier actually is extremely comfortable. It's really soft cotton, and you barely notice it's there.

And the swings are the Bobby Rock in Comfort Travel Swing. We love them, they work great for keeping the babies occupied, and they don't take up much space - very important in a small house with multiple babies. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2501253

Keep up the good work!