Sunday, September 09, 2007

On the Plus Side, Now I Know the Terbutaline Works...

Yesterday for hours I was having pretty uncomfortable contractions spaced exactly 5 minutes apart. Eventually they shifted to exactly 4 minutes apart. I wasn't loving this development, but having a lot of contractions wasn't the end of the world. After all, that's what I DO, right? Yes, they were more uncomfortable than usual, but they weren't alarmingly so, so I wasn't sure whether it really mattered. I decided that I'd see if I could sleep through the night to decide how alarmed I should be. And that's when the fun began. The contractions didn't get better through the night, and I never did get more than about 20 minutes of sleep at a time, but there were only 2 stretches in the night where I even got that many. I spent the whole night trying to figure out when it was appropriate to call the doctor or at least call Matria. Calling at 2:30 seemed silly, I rationalized, since I'd be getting a bolus at 3am. At about 3:15, I fell asleep for 20 minutes, which seemed to me to suggest some improvement, so I figured calling wasn't strictly necessary. By 4:30 I was in agony, so I considered calling and asking for an additional bolus, except that the auto-doses really weren't doing much good, so why would I think another bolus would? By 5:30 I was in tears from the pain (as I had been intermittently through the night), but again, only half an hour away from a bolus, so calling seemed premature.

All night the contractions themselves were not only stronger and more regular than usual, but I had cramping so severe I expected to see blood every time I went to pee and pain into my back along with the cramping so strong that I would have sworn I had a kidney stone had it not been so definitely in sync with the contractions. Once I dragged myself out of bed at 6:30ish (with less than an hour total sleep to show for myself), I couldn't quite figure out WHAT to do with myself. I still felt crappy, but at that point, I wasn't feeling any worse than I'd felt all night, so I decided to wait to call Matria until it turned over from After-hours to the local center, so that I had a higher likelihood of talking with a nurse who knew me. At 8:30 I called over there and spoke with a nurse who, as it happened, I'd never spoken with before. She suggested giving myself an extra bolus, but also said that she'd recommend contacting the doctor, since this was a change from the norm for me. So she paged the doctor for me.

Dr. P. was on call, which surprised me, since he's going to be away all this coming week, but that was good since I saw him twice this past week, so he knew what was going on with my medications, etc. He called me directly, rather than trying to relay everything through Matria, which I appreciated. He first told me to raise my basal rate on the terbutaline, and then said he could bring me into the hospital and get me onto a monitor and possibly mag sulfate if I wanted. Alternatively, this is about the last opportunity I've got to use Indocin (they won't use it after 32 weeks), so since I haven't been on it for a few weeks, and since historically it works well for me, that was my other choice. So I decided to try the Indocin again and he said if I wasn't feeling better in several hours, I can always come in to the hospital. Fine and dandy, except today is my foster son's 4th birthday party, so I'd like to avoid that if possible. Obviously, if I need to go, I need to go, and that's all there is to it. However, if there's any way to avoid it today, I'd like to. I do want at least my husband to be at the party, and I'd rather not go to the hospital alone (I'm not going to be at the party regardless).

So that's what we agreed upon. And then... shortly after I talked to Dr. P., I pulled out my pump to give myself the extra dose that my nurse had suggested and I realized that the pouch that holds the pump was a little damp, as was the area around the pump where the tubing attaches to the syringe in the pump. How odd... And I peered closely at the tubing and watched it for a good long while. And I realized that absolutely NO medicine was going through that tubing. In fact, probasbly no medicine had been going through that tubing all night. And in retrospect, when I changed the syringe last night, I vaguely remember that ther was a subtle "crack" sound as I put the tubing on, and I DID check to see if anything looked cracked but didn't see anything, so I'd sort of forgotten about it. Obviously, I didn't look closely enough. Whoops. In the two months that I've had the pump, this is a first. Still, I feel foolish.

However, at least now I know that the terbutaline really IS serving a very important purpose. Because if that was just a tiny glimpse of 12 hours without terbutaline (bearing in mind that the half-life of terbutaline is, I think, 4-5 hours, so I theoretically still had terbutaline in my system that whole time, just less and less of it through the night, then boy, do I not want to know what life woud have been like without it all together. So as many contractions as I feel with the terbutaline... at least I now know that the Terbutaline DOES work. Really well. Sheesh!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

The exact same thing happened to me with a terb pump, and almost had me readmitted right after going home after seven weeks in the hospital. What bugged me is that the Matria nurse never suggested this as a possibility. What an awful night. Good for that doc for calling you directly - those little personal kindnesses always meant the world to me. You've been through a lot, and I think you're amazing. I hope you get some good sleep today.

Jamie said...

Sounds like an awful night. I'm glad you've figured out the problem though. I hope it helps!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you know for sure the terbutaline is working. I hope that the contractions calm down and you can stay at home for a few more days at least.

I hope your foster son has a wonderful birthday.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you discovered the problem. I've been in a situation like that too, where the problem lay with the medical equipment but, never having encoutered that problem before, I attributed the serious trouble to a much more obvious variable that had just been introduced that day.
When it is time for you to deliver, will you simply be taken off the terb? Sounds like you won't need any kind of induction meds to get you started!
Well, now you know to check the pump for problems. Nevertheless, it really does seem, from events of the past week, that any time there is a change from what is normal for you, you ought to contact the doctor right away. There doesn't seem to be a reason to delay, especially as your doctors respect you as a patient and want you to call them.

LJ said...

I was sitting here holding my breath as you typed. You know that song, "Billy, Don't be a Hero"? I know you know your body best, but you scared me not calling sooner.

Also, there are a number of us who would go with you to the hospital. I could be there in 10 minutes - so, just call.

Thalia said...

as you say, good to know you're medicated for a reason. Also glad you found out what the problem was.

Sunny said...

I am glad you were med detective today and fixed the problem.

decemberbaby said...

Hey, I'm glad it's just that you weren't getting your meds rather than that something major had changed.

Sounds like the Matria nurses need to have a checklist like the IT people... "have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again?" "have to checked all the cord connections?" etc... might have saved you some pain.

nickoletta100 said...

OMG what an awful night! I am glad you found the culprit and hopefully tonight goes much better.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your foster son!! I hope he had a great day!

dmarie said...

Wow--what a night! Sounds so very stressful. Having to watch the clock--ughh. Hope you get a much better rest tonight.

Casey's trio said...

I hope you catch up on some sleep tonight Karen. You're almost there:)

Rachel Inbar said...

You're taking this amazingly well... I think just the stress of the whole situation would have made things worse...

Take it easy & get some rest!

Anonymous said...

I've been gone a week without internet connection. You think I was in a third world country, but no just in Louisiana. Anyways, I am so glad you are still hanging in there. keep up the good work!
Kimberly and the GA Guinn Trips
www.guinnfamilyhome.com

Anonymous said...

I found myself holding my breath while I kept reading. I knew everything must have turned our ok, just because you had been able to type up the entry, but I was still holding my breath. What an awful ordeal! I'm SO glad everything turned out ok in the end.

Sorry its been so long since I've checked in.. We're home from the hospital now, and so far the babies are all still hanging in there. I'm flat on my back for the duration, so I'll definitely be able to check on you regularly again.

big hugs to you. hope for more peaceful days ahead.

Erin said...

I'm glad it was such a simple fix to the contractions, but that must have been a miserable and scary night. I presume that the contractions are back to their normal status now?

And happy 4th birthday to J!

Anonymous said...

Hope last night was better, that the birthday celebration worked out well, and that tomorrow's appointment brings good news.
Happy birthday to the four-year-old and much strength to you!
(How has your husband been doing?)

hammygirl said...

Phew! So relieved that you got it figured out!

Anonymous said...

Hello. I just wanted to leave you a note - let you know that you have provided me with a great source of hope over the last month or two while dealing with our own problems with IF. We have finished our 3rd IUI...and debating on how many to go before trying to figure out our next step. Unfortunately, our insurance believes in vi@gr@, but not in fertility! Please know what a great source of inspiration that you are to people. I think of you in my prayers and will continue to do so once your three children are happily in your arms!