Thursday, May 10, 2007

Sour-puss no more?

I still feel like hell, but I feel badly for being so negative earlier today. I was in a whole lot of pain. I still am, but at least I've had all day to get used to it at this point. Also, I now have heartburn, which goes really well with the nausea. Seriously. At least Tums have calcium. I need calcium, right? Does a body good and all that? (considering I'm lactose intolerant and too many green-leafies can exacerbate kidney stones and every time I've taken a calcium supplement regularly I've gotten kidney stones more regularly than usual... I can definitely use extra calcium occasionally)

Anywhozit, I totally know that this is all going to be worth it. I didn't expect it to be easy, and I knew that when I made a conscious decision to carry all three. I know I will love my babies no matter what it takes to get far enough to meet them. I'm very excited about the pregnancy, and it's neat to see things changing. I wish I were a little more awake and in a little less pain so I could marvel a bit more at how my life is already evolving, but it's okay. I also wish I had the energy to get my house ORGANIZED. (It's not terrible now, but it's not ready for triplets, that's for sure)

Someone asked if I'm ever going to post a picture of my, uh, "progress". Presumably meaning my ever-expanding belly. The answer is it's not likely. I mean, if I'd been as teeney as Suz (who is pregnant with QUADS!) when this all started, I'd have belly shots all over the place by now. But you know. I'm all self-conscious about photos. So I expect at some point I'll take one, but not for a while. And who knows if it'll get posted. I guess I'm afraid that it's just in my head that I look pregnant. (I do, though, seriously, this belly out in front of me is just not natural!) I'm afraid I'll see a picture and realize that it's really just that I'm fat, which is hysterical, because I'm down 30 pounds from last summer (I lost 19 in my last pregnancy, gained a couple back after the miscarriage, and lost another 15 at the start of this pregnancy and haven't gained an ounce since), so I should be thinking how great I look!

I am stupid so I watched some show on the Discovery Health channel about babies. All these high-risk pregnancy delivery. What in heaven's name was I thinking?? AM I CRAZY? I didn't think anything of it, because I'm just not usually affected by people's horror stories. And it wasn't the things that went wrong that scared me. But I realized that all those women who delivered their babies via c-section... especially the ones that were 36 weekers (which I won't make it to)... none of them got to hold their babies. Not one of them. I mean, it was for good reason. The babies needed immediate care, rather than cuddling by mama, but... I mean... None of them got to hold their babies.

Honestly, not getting to hold my baby when I deliver isn't the worst thing on the planet, as long as they're as healthy as can be expected or hoped for. What's worse is these dreams I've been having. I haven't told you about the dreams because I feel like a big baby for even having them. But I keep having very vivid dreams that they've all died. Sometimes it's that they've died before I get to my next doctor's appointment (on the 17th... can't come soon enough at this point). Sometimes it's that they die right before delivery. The worst is when I dream they deliver, but die within a few days. How horrible am I? Every night for a week or so, this is what I've been dreaming. I had a teacher in high school who was pregnant with triplets and lost one about mid-way through her pregnancy while she was on hospital bedrest. Her twins are healthy and beautiful and Seniors in High School now (holy cow, I'm old), but I can only imagine the loss she must have felt (perhaps still feels). I think of her often.

Gah. I was supposed to stop being negative. But actually, somehow even the DBTs (dead baby thoughts) don't feel so negative to me. Because you know... it means that I'm rather attached to my tiny little parasites, and I can't imagine that attachment is a bad thing. Even if it intensifies my fear. Deep down, I really believe everything's going to be okay. Deep down I really believe they'll be here in September. Deep down, I know that no matter what happens, we'll work through it. That's progress.

10 comments:

Jody said...

Again: even if you don't post a single photo anywhere public, please please please force yourself to take weekly belly shots. It will matter to you later, truly it will.

Those sound like horrifying dreams. I'm sorry. Ick.

One day at a time is such a cliche, but it's totally true. Don't worry, you'll get there.

(Also: organization was never my strong suit, and we all survived. Barely, but we did it.)

Anonymous said...

Your dreams don't seem all that strange to me. They are horrid, but totally logical at this point. You are worried about the babies. It doesn't mean that anything bad will happen. It just means you love those little guys!

I would love to see a belly shot or two, but don't do it if you aren't comfortable posting them.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the horrible dreams. However hard we try to stay possitive during the day those dreams always comes back to haunt us. It's very natural for a pregnant woman to have dreams about something happening to her baby/babies or that the baby's defomed G-d forbid. May your dreams never come true in this case.

twirl said...

So sorry about the dreams. They do make sense though. You're worrying. It's normal. Focus on the deep down, that's real.

(and is is sick that I'm completely excited about the prospect of organizing?)

Leah Goodman said...

Hate to say "me too" but the dreams are really natural considering how much the doctors are telling you that this is a high-risk pregnancy.

Hopefully, you'll be feeling the movements soon. It's extremely reassuring when you can FEEL that there's something alive in there. In the meantime, you just have to assume that if there aren't any bad signs, everything is okay, and live ultrasound to ultrasound...

Suzanne said...

i completely love reading your posts b/c they say all the things i am feeling as well! woman, you are NOT alone! DBTs have gripped me like crazy during the past couple of weeks...a complete stranger even stopped me in target last night and told me something horrible about losing her multiples..i mean WHO DOES THAT?!?! these vivid dreams have GOT to go! i'm sick of them!

hang in there..the weeks are flying by in a way. you and i will be at 24 weeks (viability) before you know it! ;) and PLEASE be taking pregnant shots of yourself, even if you don't show them to ANYONE! you'll want to look back on them at some point!

Heidi said...

Also have to chime in about the belly shots...take them for yourself and if you don't feel like sharing then don't. Seeing the progress might even make you feel better.

abby said...

Oh man, I can relate to the dying baby dreams! I have just started having those in the last couple weeks and they are the worst. My "favorite" recurring one is that I go to the OB and they look for the heartbeat and then tell me it isn't there anymore. UGH.

But I keep reminding myself that this is all just fear, normal fear that something bad will happen to my baby...

Hang in there, and I will try to do the same :)

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

I want to say Good Job on the positive post! I can only IMAGINE how you must feel sometimes through all this - Alone is the word that comes to me most often. You have done a great job pulling yourself up to thinking some good, positive things! I'll read whether it's positive or negative and not judge because I cannot even know what you're feeling. Blessings to you this week!

Carol said...

I definitely agree with the other commenters - take the belly pics, even if you never share them with anyone. I think you'll be glad you have them years from now.

Careful about watching those baby shows on DHC. I'm terribly addicted to them too - but thing you have to remember is that they show the worst case scenarios on those shows. TV shows need to get ratings - and trauma gets ratings. I like to watch them because I think it helps prepare me for the worst and know what I will go through if some of those things do happen to me - but just because that's all they show on that program, doesn't mean that this is what always happens.

I hope you feel better!