Monday, April 16, 2007

A mixed day

Today was an okay day. Pregnancy-wise, I can't complain. I kept food down almost all day until dinner time, and that's quite the achievement. I'm exhausted, but that's so all-pervasive I almost don't notice anymore. And I didn't spend all day angst-ridden over the whole reduction thing. Because really, unless the second opinion doctor says to me on Thursday, "Oh my god! If you carry triplets, you've got a 95% chance of dying!" I'm not inclined to consider reduction at this point. It feels wrong. I've weighed all the relevant studies I can find. I've considered the percentages. I've considered the objective evidence I've got and the medical opinions I've received. Things come out fairly balanced. There are good reasons to reduce. There are good reasons not to. But that leaves me with my intuition. And something doesn't FEEL right about reduction. Mind you, I don't think it's the wrong answer for everyone, but I just don't feel like it's the right answer for me.

My day would have been better, except the last several days have been full of depressing, horrifying bits of news. I'm sure most of you heard about the shooting at VA Tech today. The weather has been wonky and we've got a big branch down in our yard. On Friday a close friend lost his brother in a tragic suicide. A member of my synagogue who is in her forties with two children collapsed yesterday with a brain aneurysm and has been in surgery for the better part of 24 hours. There's so much loss surrounding me and although I'm not generally a weepy person, I just about broke down in tears today over nothing more than the fact that I am overwhelmed by all the sadness around me.

I had a kind of funny post about the triplet thing, but it just doesn't seem right just now. I feel lost and sad and being funny doesn't seem appropriate right now. Maybe tomorrow. For now, I'm going to take a Zofran/Codeine cocktail (I have had a migraine for hours, but I didn't keep down my last dose of codeine so it hasn't abated at all). Then I'm going to bed. I hope you all have had better days than me.

Update:
I really am feeling better. A decent night's sleep did a lot of good. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by all the tragedy that seems to be swimming around, but I'm not taking it out on the world anymore. Why, I'm so incredibly optimistic this morning that I might even risk trying to eat a bagel before I leave for work (which I'm already late for)!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you feel better, Karen. It does feel like there's a cloak of sadness around us all today.

Mandy said...

Heard about the college shooting this morning... it is really terrible.
I am sorry you are feeling so down today. Life can get a bit overwhelming at times, and we can't help but take it to heart.
Feel better soon :)

Baby Blues said...

The college shooting is such a sad tragedy. I was glued to CNN the whole day for updates. Seems we can't be safe anywhere. Sometimes you wonder if the world will ever be a better place. It's just so sad.

I hope even with the chaos around you, you find peace and feel better.

Chris said...

I'm just going to ditto baby blues here.

I hope today is a better day for everyone (and an extra dose of hope for you).

Dr. Grumbles said...

I hope you get to feel better mentally and physically!