Thursday, March 29, 2007

OMG HUNGRY! (and other fun symptoms)

Wow. Since last night, despite the nausea, I have been absolutely, unbelievably, disgustingly ravenous. This would be great, except that food still turns my stomach, so being ravenous isn't helping that. I am also unbelievably lazy. I crawled into bed last night around 9. My husband called at 10 to say he was on his way home (he's often out on Wednesday nights). At 10:30, just as he was pulling into the driveway, I called him and asked him to please bring down a banana for me when he came inside. I am THAT unbelievably lazy. I was so tired the very thought of walking up one flight of stairs made me feel hopeless. But I NEEDED food. Right that instant! Fortunately, I have the best husband on the planet, and he brought me water, my nightly medicine, and a banana immediately.

Speaking of my nightly medicine, when I graduated from Shady Hell, my doctor told me I could stop taking the metformin that day (Tuesday). I am leery of this. I stopped taking it around 6 weeks last time, and with the subsequent miscarriage (might not have been related), I had inquired about staying on metformin through the first trimester and he had agreed that should I get pregnant again, staying on the metformin for the first trimester had enough possible benefit to counteract any perceived risks. But when he told me to stop taking it, I just nodded and said, "uh huh" because I was too busy watching Margaret measure the three (THREE!!) heartbeats on the screen to realize that I should be asking about it. I have enough metformin in my current bottle to get me through Sunday night, and I have an appointment with the perinatologist on Monday, so I think I'm going to keep taking it until Monday and ask him if I should refill it or not.

Oh and about the tired thing... I was unbelievably shattered in my last pregnancy. I had negative energy. I felt terrible. I could barely get out of bed in the morning. I couldn't keep my eyes open after 8 or so at night. I dozed at work accidentally twice. I didn't think it could be described, and I certainly didn't think it could be any worse. Oh my gosh. It is THREE times worse (surprise!) this time. Last night I was actually contemplating using toothpicks to hold my eyelids open until I could get J in bed (since my husband was out, I definitely had to handle bedtime). I remember when I was pregnant last time, there was an occasion when S was out of town, and J and I were vegging together before bedtime. He was "reading" books or watching TV or something. Eventually, J, my adorable barely-three-year-old (at the time), WOKE ME UP to tell me it was time for him to go to bed. I fear there will be many repeats of this incident in this pregnancy.

In other news, despite the unbelievable hunger, I have now lost so much weight that I am wearing a skirt that hasn't fit me in two years. It is two sizes smaller than most of the clothes in my closet. This is not good, though under any other circumstances I would be thrilled. (Don't be too impressed, by the way, it's still an enormously huge size, just two sizes smaller than my previously enormous size)

5 comments:

carrie said...

It is very hard to get my head to simultaneously imagine triplets and wearing a small skirt! I hope you find some help with the nausea and are able to eat lots and lots very soon. (This is complete assvice, especially since I've never been pregnant, but I've heard those anti-nausea wrist bands you can get at the drugstore are remarkably helpful). I think you should post a pic of your eyes being held open by toothpicks. Hilarious.

Rachel Inbar said...

I understand the fatigue... We'd gone all the way to Holland and were at a wildlife reserve. I chose to just stay in the car and sleep - and that was with a singleton... Take it easy.

Hopeful Mother said...

The hunger comes with a vengeance, and NO warning, especially with multiples. I had several weeks of this, but it has gotten (a little) better.

However, I haven't had the weight loss that you have had... more the opposite. :-)

Anonymous said...

You are so NOT lazy. You are exhausted for good reason.

Sounds like keeping some snacks near your bed might be a good idea.

What a lovely husband you have. And what charming young boy you have, too.

Maybe try drinking half juice, half water?

decemberbaby said...

The asshat in me wants to say, "omg, you're ravenous and eating AND losing weight? Where can I get me some of that?"

Here's hoping J doesn't have to wake you up for his bedtime every night!