Friday, January 26, 2007

the beta that wasn't

Today was supposed to be Beta Day. My google calendar agenda (emailed to me every morning at 5am) even told me so because I'd forgotten to change it. Anyway, CD3 marks a new beginning, of course (vs. CD1 which marks another end). Every new cycle has the potential to work, even though I know it won't. Still, in the interest of new beginnings, my new google spreadsheet is up and running for IUI #6 (it's really just a new tab in the same old spreadsheet).

I got to see my beloved Margaret, sonographer extraordinaire, this morning. "Gosh it's been a while," she said. Yep, a whole two weeks. But you know, if I'd made it all the way to beta day, it would have been even longer before I got to see Margaret again, so at least I have that going for me, right? This morning she declared that not only are my ovaries "perky" as per usual (Margaret is the person who inadvertently named my blog) but that I am the poster child for PCOS. Er, I'm not sure that's something to be proud of. Apparently in the two weeks I was twiddling my thumbs at home intead of having thrice-weekly dates with an ultrasound wand, I missed the Shady Hell Holiday Party. Margaret, apparently, wore a stunning black pants suit and looked very skinny (she IS very skinny, so that isn't a shock). I'm curious what Dr. T. wore, but I didn't ask.

I realized, when I noticed that the same doctor I had for Day 3 monitoring last cycle was the doctor doing monitoring today for my Day 3 appointment, that I had exactly a 28 day cycle. No wonder the time seemed to fly right by. My last period started December 27th, this one started January 24th. How's that for perfect timing? I've never had a cycle last exactly 28 days. EVER.

The good news is that if I have a similar cycle to IUI #5, it won't interfere with my plans to be in Florida visiting my father in February (18th-20th). I'll be at the tail end of the 2ww. I thought that could be a problem, because if my period came earlier, I'd miss my CD3 monitoring appointment, but NO! I forgot! This is my very last IUI cycle! So I'll just make sure to fill my script for BCPs before I leave for Florida so that I can start taking them in preparation for IVF#1 if I need to. I mean, not that I'll need them. Because, after all, the 6th time's a charm, right? Or, um, not?

Anyway, this is it, folks! Last IUI. The very last one. Soon it's on to the fun of, um, injections? Oh wait, I've already done that. Dates with an ultrasound wand? Nope, been there, done that one, too. Um. Oh! right! Egg Retrieval! Haven't done that one before, and boy am I looking forward to that one... oh, wait. No I'm not! Well, at least I don't have to keep taking my temperature every morning. There was no greater torture, in my opinion, than taking basal temperatures every day.

By the way, you'd think having two periods so close together (yes, 28 days is a short cycle for me these days), I'd be in less pain ... but HOLY COW THIS FREAKING HURTS! I think I almost prefer when my period was a twice a year event. Except in as much as it interferes with baby-making.

Well, let the games begin! (hah! I had to create a new label for this post. IUI #6. Sheesh. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson by now, wouldn't you?)

4 comments:

Watson said...

There is some weird comfort in knowing this is your last IUI, at least there was for me.

When we did our 4th last spring, I just knew it was our final try.

It's taken us this long to gear up for IVF, but it's nice to know there's something much more effective out there.

But here's hoping #6 is the lucky one and you don't need it :-)

Baby Blues said...

I'm also going as far as 6. That's our game plan. Dr.N says the chances after the 6th get lower. But you could still change the statistics.
Let this be the one!
Game on!

Dr. Grumbles said...

Best of luck!!! Maybe #6 will do the trick!

decemberbaby said...

I'm going to stay hopeful for you. And I hear you, having a 28 day cycle is so exciting for us PCOS poster girls!

Good luck!