Monday, August 20, 2007

Home Again

Many thanks to my pinch-hitter husband for posting for me this morning. As he said, I was sent to the hospital for monitoring last night after my 4:30 monitoring session had 15 contractions in an hour. Suffice it to say, it was a fun day all around.

So... off to labor and delivery triage we went. Where we quickly discovered I was still having far too many contractions. The nurses were great, the hospital was boring. My doctor called after a bit to suggest some options. We settled on trying 3 doses of Nifedipine over an hour and half and if I was still over threshold after that, she'd admit me over night for observation, get me on Indocin for 24 hours, and check my cervix in the morning and probably let me go after that.

Three doses of Nifedipine later, and just as many contractions, and there was a room with my name on it. And so, my darling husband went home to get some things for me, including (bless him) a toothbrush/toothpaste which hadn't even occurred to me, but BOY DID I LOVE HAVING THAT! And the fun began. They got me back on the monitors... three fetal monitors and a contraction monitor. Now the ironic thing about that set up is that to keep the fetal monitors in the right place, I had to be laying on my back. But that made the contractions worse. But rolling onto my side disturbed the fetal monitors too much. Finally around midnight, the nurses called my doctor and asked if they could just leave the contraction monitor only on so that I could get more comfortable and hopefully sleep. At 1:30, they came in and took off the three fetal monitors, I rolled onto my side and went to sleep. At 4am I got my second dose of Indocin. At 6am, I woke up and my day started... for the last couple hours I'd only had a couple contractions. Miracle! (Indocin works well for me...it's just that it can't be taken long term)

Anywhozit, around 8 I was brought the world's most disgusting breakfast (kosher hospital food... never a good thing... ick!). and a bit before 9 I was taken down for an ultrasound and to meet with my doctor. My cervix was, at its shortest, 1.7cm... shorter than last week, but not so much shorter than it was 5 weeks ago when this whole bed rest crap started in the first place. She recommended raising the basal rate on my terbutaline pump, adding Nifedipine XR again on top of the terbutaline, and having a fetal fibronectin test done weekly along with the already-scheduled weekly cervical measurements.

She was fully prepared to let me go home and asked if I had any questions. And I said, well, I wasn't trying to be picky or anything... but I was doing the 4x daily finger sticks for blood sugar testing because I couldn't take the three hour test, and since I hadn't had a single blood sugar reading out of the range of completely utterly normal, could I maybe cut back on the number of times I had to test...but I was willing to do whatever she wanted me to. She said I could just do it twice a day if I wanted, but forewarned me that as I got later into the pregnancy, they'd probably still make me return to four times a day anyway. No problem. She went off to type up the ultrasound report and then popped back in and said, "Hey, since you're in-house right now anyway, do you want to just DO the three-hour glucola test?" Uh, YEAH! Except I'd already eaten breakfast. No problem. I had eaten breakfast at 8, so they'd do the test at 4 and I could go home after that, unless I'd feel better staying another night (NO THANK YOU).

And so... I spent the most boring day of my life in the hospital today, internet-less, bored, with limited things to read or do. But on Friday, I should know whether I have to keep finger-sticking myself! And I was home at 8pm tonight. Safe and sound. All is well, the babies are all healthy and fine. The contractions are better for the moment. And life is good because I have my precious internet back. Gawd I'm an addict. Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. I suspect this won't be the last time I have a visit to the hospital before this is all over, but at least this wasn't a terribly long orientation... :) I'll try to catch up on your blogs tomorrow.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't posted much, but I have been reading for a while and was so worried about. I completely agree that 28 weeks is too soon. Mine came at 31 weeks and that was too soon. I am so happy you are home. Keep those babies cooking!
Kimberly and the GA Guinn Trips
www.guinnfamilyhome.com

Anonymous said...

I'm SOOO happy you're home and that those precious babies are staying put!!
I swear, you're such a trooper about all of this. I'm taking notes so I'll remember to do the same when I'm at the same stage.
Thinking of you all the time...

Carol said...

gosh, you've been busy. Glad to hear you're home and the babes are well.

Malky B. said...

Happy to hear your back home. Keeping my fingers crossed that you passed the 3 hour test and can stop pricking yourself.

Rachel Inbar said...

I'm glad you got to do the sugar test. I hope you'll get good results and be able to quit with the tests altogether.

Those multiple fetal monitor things are so annoying. I remember with just twins how crazy it made me, especially since the monitors always moved and used to lose a heartbeat / jump to the other twin / jump to mine... I can't imagine how long it takes just to set it up with triplets...

I'm glad you're home and hope you can stay there for quite a while :-)

Casey's trio said...

Glad you are back home! Never a dull moment with a HOM pregnancy:)

illahee said...

good to know you're home and doing well. wishing the best!

Leah Goodman said...

You're absolutely amazing! I'm very impressed at the way you're taking this all, because I'm sure it's SOOOO hard...but you're down to less than 6 more weeks of this.

And then you get a whole new set of challenges... (but wonderful ones)

LJ said...

Oh Karen,
I am so glad that everyone is right back where they are supposed to be. You are back at home, and the babies are still in their home. 29 weeks tomorrow, right? Hey, each week is another one closer to 34. Only 5 more weeks. 5 more crazy weeks, I am sure, but I'm SO happy they let you go home. That can only be a good thing. I know they'd have kept you if they could. And WHEN you pass the 3hr test...oooh. Red letter day!

Jackie said...

Hey, I'm glad to hear you're home and hoping you'll be able to stay that way. The fetal monitor juggling act sounds absolutely awful-let's hope there isn't any more of that for a while. Take care!

Jody said...

I'm glad they got that under control and you're home again. Thanks to Seth for the very kind updates, too.

Good luck, I hope that GTT comes back looking beautiful and you can drop that from the regime, at least.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you received really good care without too much trouble, other than boredom. If one has to be in the hospital, it's nice to have good care.

Thanks for having had your spouse update us and for updating us yourself once you got home. Hope things are uneventful now.

Sunny said...

I am so glad you are home. I am sure you are WAY more glad. :)

Shelby said...

I"m so glad they let you go home!! No better place to be. I'm glad the babies didn't make a surprise appearence too. My fingers are crossed that everyone stays put for 5 more weeks!

Take care! And let me know if you need anything.

dmarie said...

thank goodness you're home! who-hoo!!!

decemberbaby said...

I'm so glad everything's ok now. Kosher hospital food... ewwwww... can you order a kosher pizza next time? (maybe just bring your own granola bars?)

Keep baking those babies!

Chris said...

Stay put babies!!

Glad everyone is well, despite the crappy food.

hadjare said...

Does the hospital have internet access? Could you bring your laptop with you since it seems (knock on wood that I am wrong) that you are getting closer to a hospitalized bed rest?

Meghan said...

So glad you are home and the babies are right where they should be!

Mindy said...

I'm just glad you're able to be home AND the babies are stilll safe and snug where they belong. My daughter arrived at 32 weeks after 10 days on complete bedrest in the hospital. I'm glad you get to be at home -- bedrest in the hospital sucked! And even though my daughter is nearly 5 and perfectly healthy, it's hard having a premmie -- keep those babies cookin'!!! Take care.

nickoletta100 said...

I am sooooooooo glad you are home! Don't worry us like that!!!!

Glad you were able to do the 3 hour. I hope it comes back negative and you can stop poking yourself!

Marie-Baguette said...

so happy everything is going well! Take care

Anns said...

Sticky baby vibes, sticky baby vibes. Stay put just a little longer babies!

Gemini Girl said...

Thank GD your babies are healthy and still in! Sending you prayers and well wishes to make it to at least 33!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you are home and the brood is tucked inside.

I hope you stay at home for a while to come.

Changing Expectations said...

I am so happy to hear that all is well! Thinking so much about you and hoping that everything is okay.

hammygirl said...

Phew! So glad things are going well!

pam said...

glad to hear you're back home, and hopefully your blood sugar test will come back with good results.

hoping those babies stay nice and snug in there for five more weeks!

Dr. Grumbles said...

Glad you are back home. Let's hope you get to stay for a while!

Watson said...

Hey Karen,

I am thinking of you and the babies and I'm glad you're home from the hospital!

Take care :-)

Hayley said...

I've just read the complete archives of your blog, and I have to say that you are fabulously witty to read. I'm so glad that the hospital visit didn't lead to anything more serious, and that you are back at home now. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that you make it to 34 weeks and that your babies are healthy enough not to need much time in NICU (an abbreviation which, incidentally, always takes me a while to clock, because in the UK we call it the Special Care Baby Unit - SCBU for short). I hope it's okay that I'm adding you to my google feed - I'm afraid I'm neither pregnant nor infertile (as far as I know), but I will be praying for you and your family as you approach your milestones and ultimate goal.

:)
H

Anonymous said...

Congrats on 29 weeks!