Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Almost 27 Weeks- can you believe it??

I had a ridiculously long appointment yesterday. It's really sad when the biggest excitement of my week is going to the doctor. But it's also the most exhausting part. Whew, it takes a WHOLE lot of energy for me to get up and out of my house these days! It's pathetic. Anywhozit, yesterday was a long appointment because it was more than just my normal weekly cervix check. It was:

1. 1 hour glucose screening
2. Normal prenatal BP/Urine/Weight Check
3. Fetal Fibronectin culture
4. Cervix check
5. Growth scan for the kiddos

A long appointment. Should get the glucose and fetal fibronectin results today or tomorrow. I expect that the glucose test will not be pretty and that the fetal fibronectin will be fine. Blood pressure was fine, as usual. I've lost another 2 pounds, but I didn't get yelled at this time. My doctor isn't concerned as long as the babies are growing and I'm not anemic (they drew extra blood along with the glucose screening to make sure that I'm not anemic). My cervix was slightly shorter than last week, but still relatively stable. And the kiddos are growing nicely.

Baby A is estimated at 2 pounds 2 ounces (50th percentile)
Baby B is estimated at 1 pound 14 ounces (38th percentile)
Baby C is estimated at 1 pound 13 ounces (37th percentile)

Heartbeats were all lovely in the 150s and 160s. Baby A has listened to my complaints and turned back around and is head down. Whew. Baby B also has sort of turned back around and is somewhere between head down and transverse. Baby C is mostly transverse, slightly breach. They're kind of in this weird little circle... Baby A's head down in my cervix, feet up against Baby B's head who's feet wrap around to Baby C's head and baby C's feet wrap back down and around toward Baby A. Kind of weird.

Contractions have been weird. I'm usually okay in the morning with a few or no contractions. But check out this pattern:

Friday night: 5 contractions, gave demand dose, remonitored, 3 contractions, still really crampy, slept through it.
Saturday morning: 4 contractions (threshold), gave demand dose, remonitored, no contractions, cramping, raised basal rate.
Saturday night:
7 contractions, but hadn't sent strip in until the next morning, so no remonitoring involved.
Sunday morning
: 3 contractions, no big deal.
Sunday night
: 5 contractions, but hadn't sent strip in until the next morning, so no remonitoring involved.
Monday morning:
2 contractions
Monday night:
ELEVEN contractions, but hadn't sent strip in, so no remonitoring involved.
Tuesday morning:
no contractions.

So now I get to start sending in my evening strips as well as my morning strips. Which means I have to monitor earlier in the evening (I usually monitor around 9pm or 10pm, but if I'm going to send them in, they prefer to receive them by 9pm. I don't like to monitor right at 8pm because that's when I receive an auto dose, so I don't think that gives an accurate picture, so this means I have to monitor at 7pm tonight. Yippee.

Oh, and while I was writing this entry, I got a call from my nurse... Yep, I failed my 1 hour glucose screening, apparently not by very much. But here's the kicker... normally this would mean taking the three hour glucose tolerance test, except I'm not allowed. Because that would mean sitting in the lab for four hours. And I'm not allowed to sit for that long. So instead, I get to have Matria (the company that does my contraction monitoring and terbutaline pump stuff) come out and edumacate me on gestational diabetes and using a glucometer and blah blah blah. And then I get to check my blood sugar four times a day for a couple weeks while they decide if I have gestational diabetes. And if I don't, I still get to keep checking my blood sugar just for fun, because I can! And if I do, well, the fun's just beginning!

The bitch of it is that they suspect that the terbutaline plus the whole triplet thing is what's likely caused the elevated blood sugar. I've been losing weight throughout the pregnancy, and have no family history of diabetes nor gestational diabetes. I don't eat sugary sweets or really many excess carbs in the first place. So let's say it's the terbutaline's fault. What would I rather have: high blood sugar and relatively controlled contractions, or low blood sugar and completely UNcontrollable contractions? Yeah, that's what I thought. Not a difficult choice to make. And anyway, I needed something else to do with my day, right? Wouldn't want to get bored!

I knew it was a high likelihood that I'd blow this here 1 hour test, but I was so hoping I was just being a negative nelly. Because seriously... have I mentioned that one of the problems with gestational diabetes is delayed lung development?? And have I mentioned that AT BEST these babies are going to be 6 weeks premature? Yeah. Aside from that, at this point, I have weekly cervix measurements, weekly urine protein checks, daily blood pressure monitoring, twice (sometimes more) daily contraction monitoring, and now I'll have 4x daily blood sugar monitoring. Seriously... is there ANYTHING they're NOT going to know about me by the time this pregnancy is over with?

Right. Well, you know, it's all good. It'll just give me more toys to play with. :)

8 comments:

Dr. Grumbles said...

Have fun with your new toys!

megan said...

glad to hear that things are going well-ish. glad about the stable cervix!

hadjare said...

They will only know everything about the pregnant with triplets you -- and that isn't likely to happen again. ;)

I love that you get weight measurements...that means you got almost five pounds of baby! Wow.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least it will give you something to do on bedrest. It could help pass the time. . .

In and Out of Luck said...

Never a dull moment, indeed. Those weights all seem like very respectable percentiles and they will only continue to grow. Stability of the cervix is good! But oy, all the monitoring. I am thinking of you.

Sunny said...

I have missed you! What a doc appointment. WOW, I am tired for you!

Changing Expectations said...

Glad to hear that things are going well. Sorry about having to test the blood sugar, but given the choice - not such a bad thing to have to do.

The weight measurements are interesting....

Anonymous said...

I'm glad they'll be having you check your bg throughout the day and not just first thing in the morning.

You really seem to be getting excellent care.