Monday, June 18, 2007

Morrison losses

2 more of the Morrison Sextuplets died on Friday. I haven't heard any other updates, but as of then, the two girls and one boy were still in critical care. I don't know what their prognoses are, but I imagine they aren't great. Apparently, girl preemies have a better rate of survival than boys, for some reason. I'm not clear why. I hope that the Morrisons are surrounded by supportive and loving friends and family and have lots of help and people to listen to them right now, because I cannot imagine their anguish.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a friendly FYI- girl preemies have a better survival rate because female fetuses develop at a slightly higher pace than their male counterparts. Incidentally, African-American fetuses develop faster than their Caucasian counterparts.

Jackie said...

http://www.twincities.com/ci_6156950?source=most_emailed

I came across this relatively balanced news article regarding reduction. Just wanted to share. If you can't read the whole link, let me know and I can email it to you.

J

Jody said...

No one knows WHY female fetuses develop faster, African-American preemies do better on average, etc. There are theories about the effect of the Y chromosome, but ???

I would think the prognosis is miserable for the remaining babies. It's heartbreaking, really, and I'm sure the parents are second-guessing all their choices. When they can surface from the NICU undertow.

Sigh.