Thursday, March 15, 2007

Seriously? I mean, really?

I keep going back to the comments on my original triplet post. Many comments are checking to see if I'm serious. Wait. Are you serious? Honestly, I'm still not sure I'm serious. I mean, how ridiculous would THAT be? I can't be pregnant with triplets. That's the most assinine thing I've ever heard. But that picture... that scan... that's my uterus in that picture. Surely it can't be? Obviously I will wake up soon, right? RIGHT?

I hate to sound like a broken record, and I expect that several posts to come will all sound the same and for that I apologize, but I still don't know what to think or feel. I didn't even know what to think or feel about there being twins at the first scan. How exactly is triplets supposed to be clear-cut, emotionally?

If I have triplets, I'm guaranteed three seriously premature babies. Best case scenario? I get three, three-pound babies. And that's if all goes perfectly. I cannot begin to tell you how much that terrifies me. That is the best case. I cannot keep out of my head visions of three pound babies. I just can't. I cannot believe that come September, I could be faced with that for real. Yes, September. Because no way are triplets making it to November. (I'm theoretically due the first week of November, hah!)

Mostly, I'm in pain. Physical pain. I know some cramping is normal in pregnancy, and I imagine that cramping with three in there would be, oh, three times worse than a typical pregnancy. But this is really ridiculous. This is doubling-over-in-pain kind of cramping. This is me not being able to load the dishwasher because that would require bending over kind of pain (mighty convenient, that one). My hips, believe it or not, already feel like they are trying to spread out. Everything is all out of whack. Everything hurts. My migraines are unbelievably out of control now, and there's nothing I can really take for them that will help. I had a serious anxiety attack yesterday because my husband's car died and now we have to buy a new one sooner than I'd hoped and I don't know how we're going to pay for it, and the anxiety only made my head pound more, my abdomen cramp more, my back ache more. And you know the best part? You can't take any anxiety medication when you're pregnant. I very rarely have anxiety attacks. I was given Ativan years ago when I had a malfunctioning gallbladder and couldn't sleep through the pain. I was pretty pissed off to be handed anxiety medicine for sleeplessness, but it turned out to really work. Now I'm pretty pissed off that I can't take any Ativan now.

I don't really need a scan tomorrow, but I'm going in for one anyway. I'm going to carefully explain to Margaret that if she even THINKS she sees four, she is not to say a single word about it to me. Maybe I should just wait until Tuesday when Dr. Amazing is back. Actually, it doesn't matter, I'm seeing Dr. Amazing on Tuesday regardless of whether I go in for a scan tomorrow. I may as well get another scan just for fun anyway. If she sees four, I'll die on the spot.

5 comments:

Dr. Grumbles said...

Well, I really hope she doesn't see 4.

If she does, you should stop doing scans!

I know this has to be a chaotic time emotionally. You are justified in all your emotions, doubts, and worries right now.

Erin said...

I think I might be afraid to do another scan just because they seem to keep multiplying in there! I can completely see where you're coming from in your fears and worries. It's absolutely impossible for me to imagine how hard this must be for all of you.

Anonymous said...

It stinks that you are in so much pain. Can you do anything nonpharmaceutical to help with the discomfort and anxiety? Acupuncture? Floating in a pool? Aromatherapy?

Is there anyone in your community from whom you and your husband can borrow a car for a month or two?

It makes sense to be terrified. I'm not sure to say to be of any comfort. Right now I'm hoping that if any of the potential triplets are not going to make it, the disappearance happens in the next week.

As for the best case, three babies could weigh in closer to 3.5 pounds each, and arrive at the beginning of October, no? If we're talking best case?

Anonymous said...

Maybe you shouldn't even joke about 4. . .

You dreamt about 3 and look what happened.

I still don't know what to really say - just know I am thinking of you.

lisalou said...

Hiya!
I am a little infertile PCOS girl from Britih Columbia and I came over to you via "The Island". Although your situation sounds surreal, 3 babies at once! Wow! It inspires me.
All the best...I'll be lurking.