Friday, March 23, 2007

How to Freak Out Your OB

So the OB/GYN practice I go to has a rather extensive website, including pictures and bios of all the doctors/midwives. The bios say where the doctor went to school, what their special medical interests are, and if they're married and/or have kids they note that too (I guess for the personal touch). My OB, in case you were dying to know, is married with three kids. Among his medical interests is "high risk obstetrics." So Dr. B came in to talk to me and said, "wow, you just don't do anything half-way, do you?" (No, in fact, my last pregnancy made it a third of the way, so I didn't even do THAT halfway!)

"Well, I see that you're interested in high risk obstetrics, so I figure I'm doing you a favor!"
"Wow. Yeah. So, what happened?"

I gave him the history of the cycle, how it was almost cancelled, how IUI was supposed to avoid the cost, invasiveness and trauma of IVF (and look where it got me!), that we've got three little heartbeats. Lovely. He freaked the heck out. I mean, he was calmish, but very clear that this was not an ideal situation in his book. He's delivered healthy successful triplets before. He's not worried about how to manage a patient with triplets. He's concerned about me... "You're so little! Where are you going to put them? You're only 5'1"!!" (5'1" is a bit of a stretch, by the way.... and by little he meant short, not you know, little) He actually seemed to think that was one of the biggest problems with me having triplets. He said with as short as I am (and therefore, I have a shorter torso/abdomen) I'd be lucky to have 3 pound babies. He wasn't saying it's impossible. He wasn't saying I should reduce. He was very clear that the absolute biggest problem I'm going to have is managing pre-term labor. If I make it to 32 weeks, he said, I'll be lucky. He warned that if I went into preterm labor too early, I could lose all three (a thought that I've definitely had myself).

Typing it out, it sounds as though he was cruel, but that's not how it came across. He was concerned. He knew I'd already had an unexplained 12 week loss. He was worried that I'm facing a potentially enormous loss. He also wanted to make sure that I understood the importance of following whatever instructions I'm given regarding activity level in this pregnancy. He was very clear that I wouldn't be likely to avoid bedrest and he confirmed that I can definitely count on not working after I get to 20 weeks. That's three months from now. That's frightening.

I really don't want to tell my manager or client about the pregnancy before I get to 12 or 13 weeks (remember that 12 week miscarriage? Yeah...), which would basically give only 2 months notice of my imminent disappearance. I wouldn't normally feel badly about this, except it will take probably 3-4 months to find a replacement for me. I'm in a field with far more jobs than professionals (good for me, bad for my client) and it's quite difficult to find folks who are looking for jobs in my field right now. I have six years experience, which doesn't sound like much, but it meant a very short learning curve for me when I got here. If I'd come in with 2-3 years experience, I would have had a very steep learning curve. But I digress...

Dr. B. said he didn't want to discuss reduction with me. He recognized that I first need to speak with my Rabbi (appointment set up for Sunday evening, time TBD). And he also recognized that it was more important that I speak with the perinatologist about the risk/benefit involved. He wanted me to go talk to Dr. P (the perinatologist) about what I could expect with a triplet pregnancy, what my specific health risks are, and so on. I should return the week after I see Dr. P. and we'll talk about how to proceed.

Assuming I don't reduce and all three embryos make it (which I can't entirely count on, either), I asked how I could expect my care to be managed. Dr. B. emphasized that I would be seen far more often than if I had a singleton. He said that I would probably see Dr. P. as much as I see the OB practice, if not more. My care would be managed jointly, which I'm comfortable with. It was obvious that Dr. B. would defer to the perinatologist for critical care decisions and that his own role would essentially be to monitor growth and development. Both doctors would likely be at the delivery. I have a guaranteed C-section. No possibility that they will allow me to attempt to deliver vaginally. While occasionally doctors will allow an attempt at a vaginal delivery for triplets, it's rare, and Dr. B said for me, the risk would be too great to warrant even attempting it. He reminded me that I don't have a lot of room for babies to grow and that even if I'd managed to deliver one vaginally, I'd most certainly end up with a c-section for one or more. Safer bet, he says, to skip the risk all together, particularly given that odds are high that I'll be in preterm labor, which has enough problems already.

I know it sounds like he was being all kinds of alarmist, but he wasn't. He was comfortable with the possibility of managing my care with triplets, but obviously concerned about my ability to carry triplets safely and optimally.

I'm scared. I don't want to reduce, because I'm afraid I'd be doing it for all the wrong reasons. I know I would love all of my babies. But what if they don't make it? What if I don't? How am I going to take care of three babies while recovering from a C-section? C-section recoveries are far worse after prolonged bedrest, which I can count on. I'm really scared. I'm not concerned that I won't get appropriate medical care. I have full faith in my OB and I know I will receive excellent care from him and from the perinatologist. I also know that the greatest risk I'm facing is preterm labor. Dangerously pre-term. I'm terrified.

8 comments:

decemberbaby said...

Scary when the doctors are visibly alarmed, ain't it?

I can't even imagine what I would decide with regards to reduction. Such a tough decision... I hope that you are able to make your decision with a minimum of stress and trauma.

Cheering you on...

Anonymous said...

Ok, lots to digest. My thought on one point is that you will most likely be dealing with NICU and be post c-section, so you won't have to take over the complete care of your babies until a good amount of the healing process has happened. My son, born at 36 weeks, inexplicably chose not to oxygenate his blood and spent 4 weeks in the NICU. By the time I had him home I was well recovered. In general, post c-section, 1 week until you feel decent, 2 weeks you feel mostly normal with occasional pulling sensations when overdoing it, and by 6-8 weeks it is as if you never had one. I can't imagine horrible tearing and hemhorroids from pushing are much better!

Erin said...

That's a lot to try to process all at once. It sounds like he's trying to be realistic about the whole thing, which is a good thing in a doctor. You don't want one who's going to say "Having three at once will be perfect!" You need one who's going to be upfront and honest, and not one who's going to try to put rose-colored glasses over the whole thing.

I think part of the reason for a guaranteed c-section with triplets is also that they're born so early that they're less likely to withstand labor without stressing out their tiny bodies. The months in the NICU is definitely scary, but Bella has a good point about that also being time when you can regain your strength from bedrest. Even if you're in the NICU with them most of each day, you can do exercises when you're not.

Karen, I know this is a huge amount to be dealing with and you have a lot of concerns. I hope that your Rabbi can help guide you in your decisions, and that everything works out perfectly.

Shabbat Shalom!

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds like you are in good hands with your OB.

Still thinking of you.

twirl said...

It seems like the best thing you can do is to focus on the little steps: your meeting with your rabbi, appointment with the peri, etc. and try not to let the whole big decision overwhelm you before you have all your relevant input. (easier said than done, I'm sure.)

I'm thinking about you...

Baby Blues said...

Dr. N was telling me about a patient of his who had triplets with IUI. She's petite and at six months, had complete bed rest and had to be wheelchaired to her appointments. She carried all three healthily to term. So it's possible, but you just have to take it easy. You're in good hands. Praying for your healthy pregnancy.

Marie-Baguette said...

I agree with Twirl. I know it is not easy to forget about your situation but try to take one day at a time. It is useless to freak out before you get all the information about your situation. And even when you will get the information, you will still have to wait (if you are advised to get a reduction, it can't be done before week 11 of your pregnancy). You might be asked to consider CVS, a early form of amnio to check if your babies are healthy. Thinking of you

Leah Goodman said...

My thoughts are with you. I wish you all the best. I'm sure this is really scary for you. *hugs*
t.c.