Thursday, February 08, 2007

Dragging Along Part II

Lest you think that today's E2/LH levels will shed any more light on my peculiar puzzle, I should update you on my call from my nurse this afternoon.

Three more days, two more clicks of the pen. I'm up to 108 IUs for the next three nights. Apparently Dr. Amazing is bored and ready to move on to IVF, which is good, because I'm ready to move on also. I return on Sunday for more ultrasound fun! Whahoo! I asked Mary (my nurse) what my E2/LH levels were and she said she didn't want to tell me because it was only going to irritate me. I promised her I could take it.

E2: 110 (down from 113, but that's really just a plateau)
LH: 2.5 (it went from 2.5 on Sunday, to 2.2 on Tuesday, back to 2.5 today)

Mary is pleased with my LH because she doesn't want it spiking yet because that would mean I was about to ovulate on my own and that would be bad, since apparently my eggs are too immature. They're like teenagers trying to break out into maturity, but still stuck with some rather childish behaviours and development. Curses!

I forgot to tell you all the funniest part of my ultrasound this morning. After Dr. S. left the room I was talking to Margaret, sonographer extraordinaire, and she said (JOKINGLY), "gosh what IS going on with those ovaries of yours? Whatever they tell you to take, you should take double and see what happens." I told her I'd considered it, but that would be wrong. Wrong, I say! Do I sound convincing? I reminded her that doubling my meds was probably the easiest way to land myself with a canceled cycle from overstimulation. "True," she said, "but they can't stop you from having lots of sex!"

Of course, sex has never helped us have a baby before, but if I had four perfectly mature, ripe, beautiful follicles ovulating all at once, you can be damned sure this would be the one time I'd end up pregnant. With quadruplets. And I gotta tell you... I really don't want quadruplets. Not even a little bit. Seriously!

Anywhozit. The point is my ovaries are doing absolutely nothing. I think I ought to have S provide a "sample" for cryopreservation, because I suspect what's going to end up happening is that I'll end up needing an IUI when I'm supposed to be in Florida. At least if we had some swimmers on ice, I'd be able to stay here while S and J go to Florida without me (or maybe just have me catch up with them later or something). And anyway, if I plan for that contingency, I won't end up needing it, and all this worrying will be for nothing, right??

Edited to Add: Anonymous makes a good point in the comments that I could always go for the well-timed intercourse in Florida idea in lieu of the IUI. The IUI itself doesn't really increase our odds, since our whole problem appears to be me not ovulating naturally, so well-timed intercourse COULD do it, except for a couple things:

1. We'll be staying at my dad's ... and well, GAH!
2. Timing has never worked out particularly well for us, but we could still give it a shot.
3. I need to find out whether my RE would count this as one of my 2 last IUI cycles before moving on to IVF if I skipped the IUI part. I suspect he would, but I'm not entirely certain. But I am NOT doing another one of these cycles if I don't have to. It's time to move on. My insurance coverage for IVF runs out in September or October. After that, I start fighting an uphill battle. Bleh.

Still, I haven't entirely ruled out the possibility of just resorting to "the old fashioned way" if necessary
End of Edit

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you are certain this cycle won't produce a pregnancy anyway, you could always go for the "well-timed intercourse" in Florida should you have to make the choice between staying home for the IUI or going as planned on your trip.
Of course, it would be best for the scheduling to work out so that you will not need to make use of any contingency plan. It would be great if you could do the IUI with no complications -- no fevers and lots of rest. For good measure, following the IUI with intercourse would be ideal.
Best wishes to you.

Kris said...

You mean you don't want to have well-timed intercourse at your dad's?

Hope Sunday's scan shows things are moving along...

Baby Blues said...

Being on a schedule takes the fun out of it! But I've always hoped that the old fashioned way would work. Nothing's impossible. :-)

Dr. Grumbles said...

That reminds me of trying to have well-timed intercourse with my MIL around. Not fun!!!

I hope your ovaries start behaving soon! (Seriously, someone needs to get all these rebellious and slacking ovaries in line.)

Erin said...

Ah, well-timed intercourse...or how to take the fun out of sex.