Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Could it Be?

I'm having some pretty magnificent cramping right now. I am 4.5 weeks post-miscarriage. Could it be my body is actually doing what it's SUPPOSED to do? Could I be getting my period? I know this shouldn't sound like such a shock or anything, but in the last ten years, I'm pretty sure I can count on one hand the number of spontaneous, non-medically-induced, periods I've had. Maybe 10 years is an exaggeration, but it's been a good, long while. In fact, I don't think 10 years even IS an exaggeration.

I wonder if this is a sign that my hCG level is bottoming out. I've been too chicken to go get my blood levels checked, and I haven't even peed on any sticks recently to see if the level is high enough to set off an HPT. I've been putting off getting my hCG level straightened out because I wanted to see what I'm going to do about this migraine study. I've got my intake appointment with the study center this Friday. I'll have to go through a qualifying month keeping a headache diary on a PDA that they will provide for me, during which time I must also produce my medical records proving that I've tried (unsuccessfully) both Depakote and Inderal. This seems like a minor task, but I took Inderal 16 or 17 years ago, so coming up with those medical records has been interesting. (Thank heavens the hospital the neurologist was based out of keeps records for 25 years!)

At any rate, that qualification month gives me some time to figure out what to do. My close inspection of the study consent forms and specific information about the study that were sent to me has yielded an interesting result: nothing in any of the study-specific information or consents suggests that if I participate in the study I can't get pregnant. Furthermore, while it requires that I not change the medications that I take for treating migraines. It does not, however, require that I not change any of my other medications. Which implies to me that there's nothing stopping me from starting fertility treatment in a few months if I have the surgery (for three months after the surgery I have to take aspirin and Plavix, which makes it seem prudent not to mess with fertility drugs/treatment during that period).

I find this all fascinating. If it turns out to be true, I'd be insane not to do the study. If it turns out to be an oversight on their part... I'm just not sure I can put all this off for another year. Seriously. So we'll see.

Coming up if I ever get around to it: a post on anonymity in the blogosphere, or lack thereof.

No comments: